SITUATION IN NUMBERS total (new) cases in last 24 hours
(last updated 10:00 AM CET 5/27/2020)
Globally 5,488 825 cases (84,314)
349,095 deaths (5,581)
Western Pacific Region 176,404 cases (1,007)
6,927 deaths (25)
European Region 2,061,828 cases (20,124)
176,226 deaths (3,013)
South-East Asia Region 218,523 cases (8,250)
6,359 deaths (219)
Eastern Mediterranean Region 449,590 cases (10,690)
11,452 deaths (159)
Region of the Americas 2,495,924 cases (41,472)
145,810 deaths (2,071)
African Region 85 815 cases (2,771)
2,308 deaths (94)
- WHO has published a case-control protocol for the assessment of risk factors for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in health workers. The primary objective of this study is to characterize and assess the risk factors for SARS-CoV-2 infection in health workers exposed to COVID-19 patients.
- A scientific brief has been published by WHO investigating any association between smoking and an increased risk for COVID-19. At the time of this review, the available evidence suggests that in hospitalized COVID-19 patients, smoking is associated with increased severity of disease and death.
- WHO has published a population-based age-stratified seroepidemiological investigation protocol for COVID-19 virus infection. This protocol was designed to investigate the extent of infection, as determined by positive blood tests in the general population, in any country in which COVID19 virus infection has been reported.
- Elements of the COVID-19 Strategic Response and Preparedness Plan (SPRP) have been updated and are reviewed on a regular basis by WHO in consultation of all six regional offices. These elements are laid out in the COVID-19 WHO Appeal.
- In today’s ‘Subject in Focus’ below, the WHO Infodemics management pillar explores how WHO is listening to social media to get ahead of the infodemic.