SITUATION IN NUMBERS total (new) cases in last 24 hours
(last updated 10:00 AM CET 5/31/2020)
Globally 5,934,936 cases (117,551)
367,166 deaths (4,461)
Western Pacific Region 181,665 cases (1,219)
7,028 deaths (14)
European Region 2,142,547 cases (20,197)
179,353 deaths (975)
South-East Asia Region 260,579 cases (11,054)
7,431 deaths (274)
Eastern Mediterranean Region 505,001 cases (15,080)
180,085 deaths (732)
Region of the Americas 2,743,793 cases (66,293)
157,702 deaths (3,094)
African Region 100,610 cases (3,708)
2,554 deaths (72)
- Today we celebrate World No Tobacco Day. Smoking kills 8 million people worldwide each year and is associated with increased severity of disease and death in hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
- People living with noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) are more vulnerable to becoming severely ill or dying from COVID-19. The pandemic has also caused NCD service disruption according to preliminary results of a rapid assessment, and WHO encourages governments to ‘build back better’.
- The President of Costa Rica and WHO Director-General Dr Tedros launched the COVID-19 Technology Access Pool, a policy initiative aimed at making vaccines, tests, treatments and other health technologies to fight COVID-19 accessible to all. The initiative has five priority areas.
- Dr Hans Henri P. Kluge, WHO Regional Director for Europe, has released a statement analysing the COVID-19 pandemic in Europe and emphasizing that recovery must lead to a different economy, an economy of well-being.
- The WHO Regional Office for Africa has urged caution as countries ease lockdowns. WHO Regional Director Dr Moeti stressed that “Ending a lockdown is not an event, but a process…”