(updated 7/17/2020 at 7:00 pm)
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The State of Florida is responding to COVID-19. As of Friday, June 5, the state has moved into Phase 2 of Florida’s reopening plan. The Florida Department of Health will now issue this update once per week. However, DOH will continue to update the COVID-19 dashboard and post the state report daily.
Governor Ron DeSantis is in constant communication with Florida Division of Emergency Management Director Jared Moskowitz and State Surgeon General Dr. Scott Rivkees as the State of Florida continues to monitor and respond to the threat of COVID-19.
Today, Governor DeSantis announced that the Florida Housing Finance Corporation has approved $75 million in CARES Act funding to local governments throughout the state for rental and mortgage assistance.
More information about this funding is available here.
Governor DeSantis announced the state has contracted an additional 1,000 nurses and medical personnel to deploy to hospitals across the state to assist hospitals with staffing shortages. Governor DeSantis also announced the state is expanding the number of beds in isolation centers for individuals in long-term care facilities that test positive for COVID-19.
Governor DeSantis and First Lady Casey DeSantis hosted a roundtable discussion regarding mental health and COVID-19 at the Tampa Bay Crisis Center with Florida Department of Children and Families Secretary Chad Poppell. The roundtable discussion is available to watch here.
Governor DeSantis hosted a roundtable discussion with Miami-Dade County mayors to discuss Miami-Dade County’s ongoing response to COVID-19 and the continued partnership between local governments and the state. The roundtable discussion is available to watch here.
Governor DeSantis provided updates on the state’s COVID-19 response, including an update on COVID-19 testing, during press conferences this week in Bradenton and Tallahassee. The presentation for this week’s updates is available here.
Governor DeSantis provided remarks at the State Board of Education meeting. The meeting is available to watch here.
Recent actions the state has taken to respond to COVID-19:
- The Florida Department of Health (DOH) continues to update the Florida COVID-19 Response page. This week, DOH updated the Frequently Asked Questions page to include topics such as COVID-19 testing, contact tracing and more information regarding the virus. The FAQ page is available here.
- This week, the Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) began offering a separate, observed self-swab lane to symptomatic individuals at four state-supported drive-thru COVID-19 testing sites. This initiative will reduce wait time and expedite test results to symptomatic individuals. More information is available here.
- This week, FDEM deployed a 15-bed Mobile Hospital Unit to the BayCare Winter Haven hospital. This mobile hospital will support the hospital’s capacity and be ready for use by the end of next week.
- This week, FDEM opened four new state-supported walk-up COVID-19 testing sites at Home Depots in Duval, Lake, Leon and Seminole counties. A full list of state-supported testing sites is available here.
- FDEM has paid out $292,923,955 in CARES Act disbursements to 53 counties. More information about CARES Act funding is available