SITUATION IN NUMBERS total (new) cases in last 24 hours
(last updated 10:00 AM CET 7/17/2020)
Globally 13,616,593 cases (237,743)
585,727 deaths (5,682)
Africa 543,122 cases (19,719)
9,130 deaths (311)
Americas 7,154,840 cases (137,989)
297,855 deaths (3,554)
Eastern Mediterranean 1,346,982 cases (15,089)
33,281 deaths (505)
Europe 3,008,972 cases (21,719)
205,482 deaths (476)
South-East Asia 1,308,441 cases (39,518)
32,100 deaths (803)
Western Pacific 253,495 cases (3,709)
7,866 deaths (33)
- WHO Director-General Dr Tedros joined the leaders of Spain to pay tribute to those who lost their lives to COVID-19, and stated that “Spain has shown that with political leadership and action, backed by community support, COVID-19 can be controlled, no matter at what stage virus transmission is at in a country”.
- The WHO Regional Director for the Western Pacific, Dr Takeshi Kasai, praised New Zealand’s success in controlling COVID-19, adding that it has been a concerted effort to limit and stop COVID-19 on their shores and support other countries in the Region.
- The Pan American Health Organization/WHO Regional Office for the Americas and the Coordinator of Indigenous Organizations of the Amazon River Basin (COICA) have agreed to work together to step up the fight against COVID-19 in indigenous areas of the Amazon. PAHO and COICA called for the urgent implementation of responses to the COVID-19 pandemic that are “appropriate to the various geographical and cultural contexts and that include the participation of the communities themselves”.
- As of 10 July 2020, 192 countries, territories and areas have implemented additional health measures that significantly interfere with international traffic. An updated summary is outlined in the ‘Subject in Focus’ below.
- Thank you for reading the WHO COVID-19 Situation Report! We would greatly appreciate
any feedback and suggestions you may have on these reports via a short anonymous survey.